Pages

Monday 26 August 2013

A True Story


Many years ago a strong, healthy baby girl was born 2 Arthur and Kate Keller, who live in the southern part of the United states. The parents, who named the little girl Helen, were delighted with dear beautiful daughter. At the age of 18 month, Helen suffered a serious illness that left her deaf and blind. However, through the love and patience of her parent and a Teacher named Anne Sullivan, Helen learned to read and speak. She graduated from college with honers and spent her life serving other people.

President  O. McKay once told an experience of Helen Keller's. "He said have you ever read Helen Keller's comment on a girl who had just taken a walk in the wood, who in and say 2 Helen question, ' What did you observe?' replied,
' nothing in particular.'

" How is it impossible ,'Helen asked herself, 2 walk 4 an hour thru the woods and see nothing worthy of note? I cannot see, find of 100's of thing 2 interest me thru mere touch. I feel the delicated symmetry of a leaf. I pass my hands lovinly about the smooth skin of a silver birch, or the rough shaggy bark of a pine. In the spring I touch the branches of trees hopfully in a search of a bud, the first sign of awkening Nature afterher winter's sleep. Occsionally, if I am very fortunate, I place my hand gently on a small tree and feel the happy quiver of a bird in full song.

" At times my heart cries out with longing to see all these thing with physical eyes, but if I can get so much pleasure from mere touch, how much more beauty must be revealed by sight. Need I have imagined what I should most like to see if I were granted to use of my eyes----even for just 3 days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment